Janssen Dental is Your TMJ Specialist in Green Bay
You may not be able to pronounce temporomandibular joint disorder, but the pain and discomfort related to TMJ disorder are unmistakable. Dr. Craig Janssen’s own TMJ experience led him to become an expert in the treatment of the chronic jaw, neck and back pain characterized by this condition.
Do You Have Any of These TMJ Signs?
TMJ is characterized by a variety of chronic symptoms. See if any of these sound like you:
- Pain or tenderness in the face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders, or in and around the ears when you chew, speak or yawn
- Limited ability to open your mouth wide
- Your jaw gets stuck or locked in the open or closed position
- You hear or feel a clicking, popping or grating sound in the jaw joint when you open or close your mouth
- Headaches or neck aches
- Tired feeling in your face or neck
- Difficulty chewing or a sudden uncomfortable feeling when biting
- Swelling on the side of your face
- Hearing problems
- Upper shoulder pain
- Ringing in your ears
More women than men experience TMJ pain, and the disorder is most often seen in people between the ages of 20 and 40. It is important to report any of these symptoms to a TMJ doctor such as Dr. Craig regardless of your age or the severity of your pain.
TMJ Treatment Options
Depending on the severity of your symptoms, you may be able to find relief with treatment options as simple as taking anti-inflammatory pain medication, eating soft foods, and applying warm compresses to your area of pain.
However, more advanced medical treatment may be required if your symptoms do not subside. Other non-invasive options can include muscle stretching and relaxation exercises to relax your jaw, or you may be fitted for a night guard for your teeth if you grind your teeth at night.
More invasive treatment options can include cortisone shots to relieve pain and inflammation, or in extreme cases, surgically replacing your jaw joint with an artificial implant may be necessary to relieve your pain.
Schedule a consultation with Dr. Craig today to discuss your treatment options.
Have Questions? Give Us A Call: (920) 351-4577
Ready to Schedule Your Appointment? Click The Button To Request Your Preferred Appointment Time! We Are Always Accepting New Patients And No Referral Is Ever Needed!